Nyantakyi re-elected GFA president

KWESI3The (Extraordinary) Congress returned him unopposed for a new four-year mandate, as he was the only qualified candidate for the election.

According to Article 28.7 of the Ghana FA Statutes, Congress will duly return the 47-year-old lawyer unopposed.

This was the second successive time Nyantakyi, owner of Ghana Premier League side Wa All Stars, was entering the Ghana Football Association as the only candidate.

Nyantakyi made history in 2011 when he became the first person to be democratically re-elected GFA president for a second term in office.

He was first elected president in 2005 after earlier serving in an acting capacity as Chairman of the GFA for a year

In 2011, three candidates were disqualified from the race after failing to meet the electoral requirements.

The 47 year old legal practitioner thanked the delegates for their continuous trust in him and promised to do more to move Ghana football further.

“We will also consider plans to build the Association into a robust and resilient body with a well supported and rejuvenated regional branch network. Reaching these goals will require the broad support of Ghanaians. So today I want to speak to every person whether you supported my candidacy or not: To make Ghana a stronger football country, I will need your support, and I promise I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do, to deserve your trust.”

“The time for football politics has ended and now the real hard work begins with the vision of bringing laurels and cheers to the hearts of Ghanaians with victories on the football pitch,” he added.

It would be recalled that an injunction from a lawyer, one John Quayson threatened to halt the election on the grounds that the hierarchy of the Ghana Football Association had shown disregard for its rules by failing to hold district and regional elections before its presidential elections.

On August 14 2015, an Accra High Court dismissed all five charges brought against the Ghana Football Association by John Quayson, paving the way for Congress to go ahead with the elections.

In an 11th hour attempt to halt the elections John Quayson filed another writ on Friday August 14, 2015 this time through Enoch Tekpetey and Odorkor Kwashieman Football Club.

The failure of John Quayson to serve the writ to any member of the GFA meant that it was not legally binding, paving the way for the elections to take place. Confident Kwesi arriving early at the venue on Tuesday, revealed that he was happy at the opportunity to steer the affairs of Ghana football for another five years.

source: ghanaiantimes.com