Uganda has a new cabinet, some old faces, others new but one appointment stands out, president Yoweri Museveni named his wife Janet Museveni as the new minister for the ministry of education and sports.
Janet previously was the minister for Karamoja affairs, a portfolio she held since 2009.
The appointments come after a tense February election whose results were rejected by Museveni’s main rival, Kizza Besigye.
According to the list, 35 ministers especially those who lost in the last polls were dropped.
Analysts opine that Museveni’s new selection criteria appears to be based on a need to balance varied ethnic and religious interests in order to maintain a wider base of political support but the government insists that it was by merit.
The full cabinet list was as follows:
1. Rt. Hon. Prime Minister ? DR. RUHAKANA RUGUNDA
2. 1st Deputy Prime Minister & Deputy Leader of Gov’t Business in Parliament ? GEN. MOSES ALI
3. 2nd Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of East African Affairs ? HON. KIRUNDA KIVEJINJA
4. Minister of Education and Sports ? HON. MUSEVENI JANET KATAAHA
5. Minister of Public Service ? HON. MURULI MUKASA
6. Minister of Trade, Industry & Cooperatives ? HON. KYAMBADDE AMELIA ANNE
7. Minister of Internal Affairs ? GEN. JEJE ODONGO
8. Minister of Agriculture, Animal Industry & Fisheries ? HON. SSEMPIJJA BAMULANGAKI VINCENT
9. Minister of Finance and Economic Planning ? HON. KASAIJA MATIA
10. Minister of Foreign Affairs ? HON. KUTEESA KAHAMBA SAM
11. Minister of Health ? DR. ACENG JANE
12. Minister of Works and Transport ? ENGINEER NTEGE AZUBA
13. Minister of Lands, Housing & Urban Development ? HON. AMONGI BETTY
14. Minister of Water & Environment ? HON. CHEPTORIS SAM
15. Minister of Justice & Constitutional Affairs ? MAJ. GEN.KAHINDA OTAFIIRE
16. Attorney General ? MR. BYARUHANGA WILLIAM (ADVOCATE)
17. Minister of Defence and Veteran Affairs ? HON. MWESIGE ADOLF
18. Minister of Local Government ? HON. BUTIME TOM
19. Minister for Karamoja Affairs ? HON. BYABAGAMBI JOHN
20. Minister of Energy and Minerals ? HON. MULONI IRENE
21. Minister of Information & Communications ICT ? HON. TUMWEBAZE FRANK
22. Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation ? DR. TUMWESIGYE ELIODA
23. Minister in Charge of General Duties/Office of the Prime Minister ? HON. BUSINGYE MARY KAROORO OKURUT
24. Minister of Disaster Preparedness & Refugees ? HON. ONEK HILARY
25. Minister of Tourism, Wildlife & Antiquities ? PROF. KAMUNTU EPHRAIM
26. Minister for the Presidency ? HON. MBAYO ESTHER MBULAKUBUZA
27. Minister of Security ? LT. GEN. TUMUKUNDE HENRY
28. Minister without Portfolio ? HAJJI NADDULI
29. Minister for Kampala City Authority ? HON. KAMYA BETTY
30. Government Chief Whip – HON. NANKABIRWA SENTAMU RUTH
31. Minister of Gender, Labour & Social affairs ? HON. MUKWAYA JANAT
Recently, the president promoted his son Kaneirugaba Muhoozi to the position of a major general, sparking claims of a succession plan.
The 71 year old leader has ruled the east African country for 30 years.