The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has begun investigations into the circumstances that led to last Thursday’s fire outbreak at Vienna City nightclub in Accra.
According to Assistant Chief Fire Officer of the GNFS, Mr Ebenezer Simpson, although workers of the nightclub claimed the fire outbreak was caused by a faulty air conditioner, the GNFS was yet to find out what caused it.
Speaking to the media at the scene at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra yesterday, he said his outfit would only come out with the exact cause of the fire outbreak after the investigations.
A blazing fire last Thursday evening gutted the Vienna City nightclub at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
The fire, which started around 7 p.m., was said to have occurred after a faulty air conditioner exploded.
Three persons, including a fire officer, got injured and were taken to hospital.
Seven fire engines were sent to the fire scene to contain the fire.
Many residents of Accra, who heard the news of the fire outbreak were alarmed because a similar fire outbreak, at the GOIL fuel station on June 3 last year claimed more than 150 lives
When the Daily Graphic visited the scene yesterday, personnel from the Ghana Police Service had also taken positions to prevent anybody from accessing the building.
That was to ensure that the GNFS officials were not obstructed in their effort to gather information about the cause of the fire outbreak.
Some of the workers of the nightclub were also spotted taking stock of the extent of damage.
Mr Simpson said preliminary investigations revealed that the fire extinguishers inside the nightclub had not been serviced for sometime before last Thursday’s fire.
“It appears the extinguishers were not serviceable. They were overdue for servicing,” he said.
Mr Simpson also indicated that the electrical wiring was unprofessionally done and accelerated the spread of the fire.