Ghana winger Christian Atsu impressed in Bournemouth friendly before injury struck

atsuGhana winger Christian Atsu impressed for newly-promoted English Premier League side Bournemouth before he was pulled out of Tuesday’s friendly against Yeovil Town.

The on-loan Chelsea player started the matches for the CHERRIES as they continued their pre-season preparations with a procession at Yeovil Town thanks to Junior Stanislas’s brace and a deft finish from new boy Joshua King.

The League Two Glovers simply had no way of stopping Eddie Howe’s well-oiled machine steaming forward at will in a one-sided 3-0 victory dictated by possession football at Huish Park.

Manager Howe fielded most of the players that did not feature on Saturday against Nantes with former Blackburn Rovers frontman Joshua King the only player to turn out in both games.

The most notable addition was Poland international goalkeeper Artur Boruc, who returned from a shoulder injury to play 90 minutes in his first match since featuring against Philadelphia Union two weeks previously.

King started up front with Stanislas in a central support role either side of Marc Pugh and Christian Atsu with Steve Cook utilised as a right-sided centre-half alongside veteran Sylvain Distin.

Livewires Stanislas, Atsu and King were the star performers for Cherries, while Shaun MacDonald and Eunan O’Kane were neat and efficient in possession throughout the all-too easy triumph.

Cherries looked accomplished on the ball from the outset and quickly created a number of presentable openings.

Atsu thumped in a low centre which King just failed to control inside the opening two minutes and a patient move down the left involving Tyrone Mings, O’Kane and MacDonald set up Pugh to whack a low shot wide.

The match was still only six minutes old when Atsu fashioned another opening for Cherries but his cross just evaded King with Yeovil’s Jakub Sokolik on hand to flick away at the far post.

The only thing to get between Distin and Cook during the opening 10 minutes was a rogue bird who decided to take a walk on the pitch.

Referee Kevin Johnson called for the stewards to intervene and after a brief interlude and a fair amount of sniggering from the crowd, the feathered friend was gathered and taken to safety.

Cherries continued to press for the rest of the half but most of the play was in front of a retreating home team as the flurry of chances steadily abated.

Atsu made a hasty exit with a back problem after 30 minutes with the Chelsea winger heading straight down the tunnel to be replaced by striker Tokelo Rantie, who took up a central role with King shifting to the right.