This has been necessitated by persistent calls for a new register to be compiled for next year’s general elections.
The opposition New Patriotic Party, the Convention People’s Party and the Progressive People’s Party say the current register is bloated.
They contend that the credibility of next year’s poll hinge on a new electoral roll.
The EC called a meeting with the political parties today, September 30, to discuss proposals submitted by various parties and groups on the voters’ register and other matters.
Commission Chairperson, Mrs Charlotte Osei, told journalists about 30 proposals had been received, 15 of them from political parties and the remaining ones from civil society organizations and individuals.
She said a public forum would be called next month to discuss all the proposals submitted.
Mrs Osei told Joy News’ Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah the Commission is concerned about plans by a pressure group, Let My Vote Count Alliance, to picket there.
Even though the protesters, demanding a new voters’ register, have insisted that they want to picket at the vicinity (not premises) of the Commission, Mrs. Osei said she was concerned because the data stored by the elections governing body could be compromised in the event of any mishap.
She said the Commission is however willing to receive the petition of the group.
The Electoral Commissioner insisted that the Commission will not be intimidated or forced into taking any decision on whether or not the current register is credible.
The Commission, she maintained, will take a decision that is fair and in the best interest of the nation.