Conduct electrical audits – Fire Service advises

The Ghana Fire Service is calling for an immediate audit of all electrical wiring in homes across the country in a bid to reduce the possibility of accidental fire outbreaks.

This follows the death of a six-year-old girl in a fire outbreak at Osu, suspected to have been triggered by poor electrical wiring in the house.

Fire authorities are yet to ascertain the actual cause of the fire, although they suspect it may have been sparked by an electrical fault.

Deputy Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, Billy Anaglatey, told Joy News the service has commenced investigations to ascertain the exact cause of the fire.

He stated the importance of conducting safety checks on buildings and called on residents to “look out for those old electrical gadgets and wires, and replace them with new ones”, and for parents to ensure children are not left unattended for long periods of time in their homes.

Mr Anaglatey asked the public to avoid overloading sockets in their homes and to always ensure that gas cylinders are kept outside of kitchens.

He said if Ghanaians are committed to running regular maintenance and safety checks in their homes they will be able to prevent fatal fires from occurring.

source :