The President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Mr Kwesi Nyantakyi, has dismissed rumours that Ghana has been banned by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) for fielding an over-age player in Isaac Twum.
He said as far as the GFA was concerned, the case was due for hearing on Wednesday and that the FA had not received any correspondence from CAF to the contrary.
The much-awaited decision will determine the fate of the Black Starlets in next year’s African U-17 Championship in Niger.
Speaking to the Graphic Sports yesterday, Mr Nyantakyi explained that the CAF Executive Committee decided at its last meeting to rule on the case on November 26 and that nothing had changed since then.
‘As far as the GFA is concerned, the case will be heard on November 26,’ he stressed.
He was at a loss as to where those speculations regarding Ghana’s ban were coming from.
The GFA recently appealed against CAF’s decision to disqualify Ghana for fielding an overaged player against Cameroun in the first leg of their African U-17 Championship qualifier.
CAF disqualified Twum, who plays for the junior side of Kpando Heart of Lions, after reportedly failing a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) test following a protest by Cameroun against seven players fielded by the Black Starlets in the said qualifier.
Coach Paa Kwesi Fabin’s side eliminated Cameroun from the Niger 2015 championship via a 6-4 aggregate victory, having snatched a 2-1 away win in the first leg in Yaounde two months ago.
source : Graphic Online