Former President Kuffour has given 7 reasons why Ghanaians must sack Mahama and his team on 7 December 2016.
President Mahama indicated not too long ago that only the former presidents (Kuffour and Rawlings) can give a more accurate assessment of his performance as they know what the job entails. On the back of this, It’s not clear how the Presidency will respond to these 7 reasons given by Kuffour:
1. Scandals and corruption
2. Unstable currency
3. Unstable power supplies – undermining both industrial and domestic ventures
4. Many industrial action and demonstrations due to economic hardships
5. Sudden and high tariff increases for utilities
6. Ever-bloating national debt
7. Executive bureaucratic delays in the public sector, especially at the ports Based on the foregoing, he wants Ghanaians to “decide for GOOD, EFFICIENT AND ACCOUNTABLE governance at all levels of government.” This would show that they “understand the uses of their vote”.
Below is the full statement: Office of H. E. John Agyekum Kufuor Former President of the Republic of Ghana Kufuor calls for peaceful elections
1. Fellow Ghanaians, It gives me great pleasure to greet you on this New Year’s eve.
2. My wish for our nation and all of us into the coming year, is a reprieve from the many and seemingly endless challenges that have beset us through the just ending year, 2015
3. Scandals and perceived corruption in governance and the society generally, socio-economic hardships such as unstable currency, unstable power supplies – undermining both industrial and domestic ventures – executive bureaucratic delays in the public sector, especially at the ports, many industrial actions, protest demonstrations throughout the economy, sudden and high tariff increases for utilities, and ever-bloating national debt stock, have hall-marked the out-going year.
5. The people must decide for good, efficient and accountable governance at all levels of government.
6. Civil Society Organizations, Traditional leaders Religious Groups must assume responsible guidance within their remits to ensure that the entire citizenry of the nation live up to the spirit and letter of the national constitution which enshrines inclusive democracy as the way of life for all of us.
7. 2016 is significant because it is the year of Election for both the Presidency and the Legislature.
8. The people must show through their conduct and choices that they understand the uses of the vote.
9. Sustained Transformation of society will not come through short-sighted and short-term inducements.
10. We must examine critically the track records and manifestoes of the contending parties before we make our choices in the election.
11. The Electoral Commission must be resolute in its independence and impartiality as enjoined by the national constitution, in its officiating of the Elections.
12. The security agencies of the nation must uphold the integrity and security of the national constitution and the state which are above all institutions, parties and individuals of the land.
13. We must all resolve to enter and live through this New Year with this determination so that the outcome of the Elections will ensure us with the government we can all accept and work with in good faith and in peace.
14. This is how to give our nation and its citizenry the sustained peace and direction to real development and dignity that we must have. Happy and Prosperous New Year to all of us and May God bless us.
Signed: Frank Agyekum Story Kwabena Boateng/GCP